Sunday, June 5, 2011

outsider artist Murphy Mae Adams.

Outsider art ?  I can’t give you a precise definition but I know it when I see it.  If you really must know  what  “outsider art” is Google it  and  you find  hundreds of pages of “expert” opinions explaining what it is and what it is not.   In my view “Art” experts, either know everything there is to know, or know more than everyone else. So, I’ll let the “experts” fight it out, meanwhile…………….

How about what our guest, Murphy Mae calls “a healthy dose of snarky irony”…….not sure I can define that either but it is what she aims for in her paintings, and who can argue.  Painting and drawing with both hands to get the perfect imperfection she wants the rules of “fine” art melt away.  Look at the skin tones of her subjects,  and again you see that perfect imperfection that makes her work so cool.   Painting about  issues we face  in our every day life her paintings make you smile and realize your secret thoughts may not be so secret after all. Here are few of my favorites from this California artist.


The captions with the paintings are from Murphy Mae.

 Tart - Tarts know they're tarts, they work at it, its an art in and of itself, and should be respected as such. Dark roots, week old waterproof fly leg mascara and one too many blouse buttons undone. I wish I could be so brave.


      Going to Hell - I was going to call this "Republican", but buckled at the thought of being too offensive.




The Best Kind of Boyfriend - He doesn't leave the seat up, or stay out all night drinking and he says everything you want to hear...what could be better?

 In Case of Emergency  .Always keep a bottle of wine on hand, because when the shizit hits the fan, you're going to need it.



You Kids  Everybody's got one of these old codgers in their neighborhood! Turning the hose on all the kids , flipping the bird and using fowl language, you know that guy!


Memories of Our Brief Encounter  Like a hummingbird spending just a brief moment at each flower...


I Like to Imagine Bad Things
Do you ever imagine horrible things happening to people that you just don't care for so much? You know like an arrow through their head, or a baseball bat to their teeth, or a hand grenade launched at them while they're playing tennis?   No, me neither.



"I'll Rip Your Head Off," is actually about an acquaintance who shamelessly flirts with my husband, over and over again. So, in my head... You probably have your own reasons for wanting to rip someone's head off.


“ Rocket takes off, usually for a whole day. After I spend much time fretting, calling the pound, and copying signs to put up in the neighborhood, Rocket saunters back home as if nothing has happened. "You had me so worried!" I cry and he looks back at me as if to say "What? I just needed a break, that’s all".



The devil is my playmate  Maybe you or your kid always finds the worse person to play with...or perhaps you or your child is the worst person to play with.

 “Shit sandwich”  Does your man ever infuriate you so much that in an effort to kill him with kindness you're tempted to do something just a little evil? OK so I've got some issues. Warning! Sorry kids, this piece includes some bad words.

 To learn more about Murphy Mae and  see pieces available to purchase visit her shop and web site.



No comments:

Post a Comment